Thursday, June 4, 2015

I guess this is an artist statement

As a kid of the south oppression and controlled thought are my game. I was born in Baton Rouge, LA and raised in Shreveport, LA where the idea of free thinking is frowned upon. We are raised like cattle; born, learned, silent, christian, silent, small, silent, computers, silent, reproductive, silent, dead, silent. I never liked the idea of this so, obviously, I packed my stuff and left for the land of milk and honey, California. 
Growing up I lived in a one parent household, showing me the struggles of a single mom and the harassment from work and society that she would receive. While growing up, my sister was my main distraction from this and competitor in the art world, pushing me to do better paper plate colorings and eventually get my doodles on the refrigerator along side hers.I always knew I would be an artist but just not sure which type. I went from coloring books to paintings to sketching to fashion to photography. I now know what I want in life, I want to be a fashion photographer mixed with medical photography. I believe that the mix between the beauty of art and fashion and the vulnerability of the exposure of the human anatomy can become a new wave of creation. I believe that the mix between science and art is a rare but beautiful thing that is overlooked in the artist community. I’m inspired by cold, metallic areas and fashions and mental and biological sciences and how they each affect an individual. I want to eventually perfect my genre of shooting and work with the next big artists of my generation to bring new ideas into my art.

No comments:

Post a Comment